"We're only truly secure when we can look out our kitchen window
and see our food growing and our friends working nearby." - Bill Mollison

Saturday, March 26, 2011

The New England Dilemma

Hey Locavores!

To all of you who have been soaking up the sun for your spring breaks, I hope it was a blast! I am extremely envious of you as I sit in my New England house, dealing with snowfall! For the past two weeks, I have been continuing my locavore duties, searching for the best local produce around. Down in North Carolina, my job isn't easy, but I was succeeding, finding some local produce in the grocery store and becoming a regular at Local Yogurt, my new absolute favorite organic froyo! However, while the ground warms and spring lurks just around the corner down south, back home in the small town of Lakeville, Connecticut, I find myself back in time, stuck in the middle of the winter. Look at the snowfall in my backyard!

This is my dog and my snow covered backyard. What a New England spring!

As you can see, it isn't quite farmers market weather up here just yet. I quickly came to realize that being a locavore was going to be mush harder back home then it would be at school, especially without a local froyo shop to fall back on! Even at the local, newly opened Sharon Farm Market, where local and organic food and produce is sold, I couldn't find anything locally grown. Practicing locavoreism proved to be a real challenge in the bitter cold of the north, but fear not! I will be heading back down to the of the carolinas in 24 hours and there, my locavore practices should have the necessary amenities to flourish! See you in the south locavores!


No comments:

Post a Comment